The mission of Bat Conservation International is to conserve the world’s bats and their ecosystems to ensure a healthy planet."
BCI is dedicated to the enduring protection of the world’s 1300+ species of bats and their habitats and creating a world in which bats and humans successfully coexist. In pursuit of this vision, during the next five years BCI will work worldwide at scale with local, regional, national and multinational public and private partners to respond rapidly and effectively to bat conservation crises, preventing the extinction of threatened bats and the extirpation of globally significant populations of bats.
- Identify, prioritize and begin conserving the world’s most “Significant Bat Areas."
- Respond strategically to broad, irreversible threats that impact bats at multiple locations around the world.
- Build a global network of conservation biologists, NGOs, corporations, public agencies, local communities and regional bat scientific networks to address global issues impacting bat species.
- Create the first actionable global bat inventory and conservation database.
- Empower the next generation of bat conservationists and scientists through strategically targeted scholarships and grants.
- Stimulate research on the most pressing scientific questions relating to the lasting protection and value of all bat species.
- Work throughout the world to develop the public policy frameworks needed to safeguard bats.
- Educate key communities and the public at large on the importance of bats, raising their profile as an order of mammals worthy of concerted attention and action.